Because we believe that movement and body patterns are indicative of a person’s personality and mood states, dance/movement therapists utilize movement observation to guide the therapeutic process. Dance/movement therapists use a spectrum of movement interventions in their practice, from simple breath work to full-bodied dance movements.
What is dance/movement therapy?
Based on the empirically supported premise that the body, mind and spirit are interconnected, the American Dance Therapy Association defines dance/movement therapy as the psychotherapeutic use of movement to further the emotional, cognitive, physical and social integration of the individual.
Dance/movement therapy is:
- Focused on movement behavior as it emerges in the therapeutic relationship. Expressive, communicative, and adaptive behaviors are all considered for group and individual treatment. Body movement, as the core component of dance, simultaneously provides the means of assessment and the mode of intervention for dance/movement therapy.
- Is practiced in mental health, rehabilitation, medical, educational and forensic settings, and in nursing homes, day care centers, disease prevention, health promotion programs and in private practice.
- Is effective for individuals with developmental, medical, social, physical and psychological impairments.
- Is used with people of all ages, races and ethnic backgrounds in individual, couples, family and group therapy formats.
ADTA Illinois Chapter’s mission:
The Illinois Chapter of the American Dance Therapy Association strives to:
- Promote and advocate for dance/movement therapy in healthcare, educational, and research settings in Illinois.
- Act as liaison between Illinois dance/movement therapists and Illinois legislative bodies.
- Provide within-community support and networking opportunities to Illinois dance/movement therapists.
- Offer continuing education for learning and growth for Illinois dance/movement therapists.
For more information about Dance/Movement Therapy, please visit our national’swebsite